Fortune Cookie, 3:40 a.m.

As many people in my online writing circles already know, I gave birth to Maverick (that’s his code name, not his real name) early Thursday morning. My water broke a little after midnight, and four hours later I had a new baby! (Like it’s that easy. And didn’t involve lots of shouting and disillusionment and internal requests for a cesarean section and/or lots of drugs. But I didn’t say those out loud. Mostly I said, “Get it OUT!” and “I’m never doing this again!”) (God bless patient nurses.) (Who are probably investing in ear plugs, if they haven’t already lost their hearing.)

Z is doing great with Maverick, she just LOVES him, wants to pet and kiss him all the time. And poke his little eyes – I don’t know what that’s about. (Actually, I have a few guesses. It’s hard sharing Mommy and Daddy.)

For some reason, his cry doesn’t bother me as much as Z’s did. Maybe because it’s a different pitch (he sounds like a baby pterodactyl, or, as Homes said, a Swainson’s Hawk). Or because his scrunchy little face looks so funny when he does it. I feel kinda bad, because sometimes I laugh when he cries.

He’s still learning the difference between nocturnal beings (creatures that are awake at night, i.e. NOT US) and diurnal beings (creatures that are awake in the day and sleep at night, i.e. US), so I’ve been awake a lot at night. Once, on a trip through the kitchen for ibuprofin, I spotted a bag of fortune cookies. And thought. 3:40 a.m. Not a bad time for a fortune cookie. I wish I could say the fortune was something illuminating and dreamy and perfect for my situation, but I think it was actually about riches coming my way next month.

And that’s okay. Because not everything is illuminating, or dreamy, or perfect. Sometimes things scream, and don’t sleep when (or where) they’re supposed to. We love them anyway.

Comments
8 Responses to “Fortune Cookie, 3:40 a.m.”
  1. “Z is doing great with Maverick, she just LOVES him, wants to pet and kiss him all the time.” — So sweet!

Glad all is well πŸ™‚

2. Maggie says:

Congratulations! πŸ™‚

What a lovely piece! 4 hrs? Wow. Congratulations again on the little hawk. I hope the diurnal instincts kick in soon. Very soon. Perhaps sleep is the “riches” in your near future.

4. Bret says:

Congrats!!

5. Beth Hull says:

Thank you everyone! Yes, PB, 4 hours. I can’t say it was “nice,” but it was “better” than with Z. Or maybe just faster. πŸ™‚

And sleep…I hope it’s in my future.

6. Vic says:

Can’t wait to hear more about adventures with Maverick! Ah sleep – something I still dream of these days :/

7. Mary Pessaran says:

Maybe you were supposed to read the fortune cookie before you gave birth to Z’s little brother, because you definitely got your riches. Sleep, oh, sleep. You’ll meet each other again someday. – Mary

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] the full. I went slightly nuts, but maybe not as crazy as I could’ve been, because I’d had a baby five days before. What was really cool: Maverick distracted me from worrying. I sort of forgot […]