We’re beyond “routine” with the bedtime routine in this house. It’s become a superstition. So much so that when Z was a toddler, I had to read the same book, sing the same three songs (“O Holy Night,” “Scarborough Fair,” and “All the Pretty Little Horses”) in the same order, and give her the same stuffed friend for every single nap and bedtime. Followed by the ever popular, ever annoying Drink Of Water.
Whatever works, right?
While I usually end Maverick’s routine with the time-honored classic “All the Pretty Little Horses,” I’m trying to mix it up a little more. Mostly because he’s still taking two or three naps a day, plus bedtime, and I can only handle so much of the same three songs.
So here’s what I’ve got in my bedtime arsenal:
- All the Pretty Little Horses
- Loch Lomond
- O Holy Night (a little too long for Maverick, & I gotta sing it loud when I sing it otherwise I can’t pretend I’m auditioning for church choir solos. I’ll save this one for later)
- In Ancient Egypt (a made-up song - here’s the “sheet” music & lyrics)
- Sleep, Baby, Sleep (I made up my own melody for this, but I think there are others)
- Peace Like a River (don’t I wish)
- Ring Around the Moon
- Scarborough Fair
- a mutant version of I Love the Mountains (either I wasn’t taught the right way, or I heard it incorrectly – I’m guessing the latter because that happens all the time)
- You Are My Sunshine (Z doesn’t like this one, thinks it’s too sad because of the part where “I held my head and cried”)
- Three Little Birds
Any suggestions? What did your parents sing to you? What do you sing to your kids or nieces or nephews or the little boogers in your life?